Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Wednesday, October 01, 2003

The counties in the middle of New York State are not places I find myself in that often-- in my quest to appear in all 62 counties, I am solid around the edges, but I visit Central New York rarely. I found myself in Cortland earlier this week, a first for me, although I don't know if I should count it, since I was there for a pre-appeal conference on a matter actually venued in Tompkins County. Regrettably this Roadfood entry about one of New York's best fish sandwiches had not appeared, so there's an opportunity lost.

I knew that when I got to town there'd be a Main Street (there were Elm and Maple, too), and that Court Street would intersect. It did, and at the foot of Court was an absolutely majestic courthouse-- much bigger then I had any reason to think a town like this would have, with a domed cupola mounted by a statue of Justice. The building is set in a soldiers and sailors memorial park, and although security requirements mean that one is obliged to enter through the basement, once you get upstairs there is a beautiful rotunda surrounded by balconies three stories up. Along the halls on the first floor are photographs of the county's dead from WWI. A stained glass rendition of the county seal is at the top of the inside of the dome. I asked the ancient deputy, in his blue blazer and silver sheriff's badge when it had been built, since I hadn't seen a cornerstone, and he told me that the funds had been appropriated in 1922, and that it was completed in 1923. He then offered to open up the main courtroom, and gave me the run of it. It was easily the fanciest New York State courtroom I've ever seen, all wood and brass and leather, with tiered seating and a balcony.

I am not altogether unhappy with the blogspot scheme, but there are deficiencies associated with it. It is nice to be able to publish from anywhere with a live internet connection, but I miss being able to feature a courthouse on our masthead. (And I hate this font.) For the time being, here is a link to a nice photograph of the exterior, and here is a (pdf) file with some photographs of the interior.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?