Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Friday, November 14, 2003

I read Peter J. Boyer's New Yorker profile of Wesley Clark last night, and was taken aback by what a slam it was. Over at Slate today Fred Kaplan has a rebutal that is worth reading. I'm no fan of Clark-- I am, frankly, not a big fan of career military men in general, at least, not as civilian leaders. I liked the idea of Clark as Dean's running mate, because of the way that pairing might ballence the ticket, but now I am not so sure. Clark might or might not be a good Vice President, but I haven't seen him do anything in the debates which suggest that he'd be able to give our Brain in a Jar Vice President the sort of talking to that would be called for in a debate. I believe that the VP debate is one of the chief ways that the Gore campaign blew it, and I wouldn't want to see that happen again. Presumably Chaney will appear at the debate in his cyborg body (although a Max Headroom style television set might also be an appropriate way for him to manifest: "Live! From An Undisclosed Location!")

Where was I? Oh yeah, Clark. More than anything what he seems to be is the Stop Dean candidate of the Clinton wing of the party. I don't know why that should provoke an article like the New Yorker piece, though. Dean's edge is that he is blunt-spoken, and he is out in front of the pack with appealing ideas. Like this one. Tell me that doesn't beat a $400 tax rebate.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?