Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Tuesday, December 23, 2003

Nat Hentoff, speaking about John Coltrane, comments on why some find 'Trane's music difficult: "It was hard for me to make the bridge even to Bird, because I grew up with Johnny Hodges and Benny Carter and that kind of playing. But, if you don't transcend, and not everybody can, what you grow up with is what stays with you. If I just want to listen to music for pleasure, I will listen to Lester Young and Billie Holiday and all those sorts of people…"

This is an observation that impresses me as applying across disciplines in the American Trinity: perhaps somewhat less to the Blues, but certainly to Rock'n'Roll. The stuff you listened to in high school and college is the stuff you still listen to, to the extent you listen, if you don't transcend...


| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?