Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

We're going down to see The Gates, but as an opponent of the Lights in Delaware Park, I have to admit that I see Witold Rybczynski's point: there is a real sense in which what makes Olmsted's parks great is that they are designed to create a very particular experience. Although they are artificial, and set in the heart of urban space, they are supposed to create a place where city dwellers can experience nature. The fact that his parks accomplish this by virtue of the fact that they are composed and artificial is the genius of them. The Gates are not consistent with this vision, but I still want to see them.

I'm not sure why the illuminated snowmen in Delaware Park were more offensive to me than Christo and Jean Claude's undertaking-- although the cheesiness factor is certainly part of it. I'm looking forward to seeing The Gates-- I've wanted to see this since he proposed it 25 years ago.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?