Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

As I mentioned yesterday, over the weekend I found myself doing computer tasks to set EGA up. Yesterday I set up a client's computer, then found myself looking at an error message on my laptop advising me that I didn't have enough disk space to run Picasa. A quick check, and whadda ya know, my hard drive was indeed so close to maxed out that I was on the verge of not being able to run anything.

I set about bailing stuff. Since Picasa was what had first alerted me to the situation, I started by ditching image files. Then I weeded out duplicate word processing files. I emptied caches, and deleted .temp files. Then I tried to defrag, only to be told that I still lacked meaningful disk space.

It then dawned on me that I had close to 20gb of music loaded. Since most of my music is ripped from CDs, this constitutes an inappropriate allocation of resources, I'm afraid. I don't listen to music on my computer as a rule-- I travel with my iPod, and listen to CDs at home. As nice as it is to have my entire music collection in a device the size of a deck of cards, I don't need to have it on the iPod and in my living room and in my computer. I have pruned my iTunes library back by about half, which is still way too much, but as much as I have the stomach for just at the moment. The nice thing about having it all there is being able to make playlists, but I'll limp along somehow. Digital storage is cheap, and I have a feeling I will have more soon enough.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?