Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Years ago, when we lived in Brooklyn A. would go to the gym on Saturday mornings, and EGA and I would stay home and watch PeeWee's Playhouse. I forget what gym it was, but Madonna went there too, so Amy Arbus' story kinda resonated with me:

"Madonna just wandered along like everyone else. I recognized her as the girl who went to my gym—as the girl who would sit around naked longest in the locker room. Now that I think back on it, how could either of us have afforded a gym membership? She still had a last name at that point, and when I told her I worked for the Voice, she said, 'Oh, that’s so funny. They’re reviewing my first single this week.'"

New York really was a different place back then. Much hipper, much more dangerous. A. reports that the other woman at the gym-- a lot of dancers-- were catty about her: "I think she's a talentless cow", that sort of thing. "Desperately Seeking Susan" was about to come out, and although I'd have bet that there was a contemporary Martin Scorsese that captured that time better, I just looked it up and the Scorsese movie that was out that year was "After Hours" so I'd have been wrong. Man, Rosanna Arquette was huge in the mid-80s, wasn't she?

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?