Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Monday, March 17, 2008

Slate is marking the 5th Anniversary of the Iraq War by having columnists write pieces on the theme "How Did I Get It Wrong". Count on it, nobody is going to say, "It was a stupid idea. I'm sorry." Nobody will say, "I now realize that we had no business invading a sovereign nation with no provocation. It was a violation of international law, and we should never have fallen for the overheated and mendacious rhetoric." None of these cats are going to say, "The ruse was transparent, and I should have seen through it." You won't see them writing "Of course I should have known that Iraq is a complex place which we understood poorly. If I'd considered it, I'd have realized that invasions like this are, as a matter of historical record, unlikely to be successful, even if we had planned on being far more brutal. Oh, and we have been a lot more brutal than I'd thought, and I am sorry for that, too."

Instead they will all say things like, "Saddam was bad." "Bush's plan was badly executed." "I wasn't wrong-- we are totally winning". There will be some people who will buy it, too, which is why John McCain has a puncher's chance in November.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?