Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

If you'd told me that three Mets have won home run titles I'd have guessed Darryl, and I'd have guessed Kingman, but I think I'd have been hung up on Howard Johnson. I shouldn't have been-- he was a good hitter, and I did know that he hit 30 and stole 30 bases, an unusual distinction that I think he shares with only  Jose Canseco. Four Cy Young winners (three of whom are Tom Seaver). They have never had a batting champion. 

The Mets have had distinguished batting averages in their history. The highest was John Olerud’s .354 in 1998. But the Colorado Rockies’ Larry Walker bested him by 9 points that season.
Then there was Cleon Jones, who hit .340 in 1969 as the Mets won a championship. But he was surpassed by Pete Rose of the Cincinnati Reds, who hit .348, and Roberto Clemente of the Pittsburgh Pirates, who hit .345.
More recently, [David] Wright hit .325 in 2007, falling 15 points short of Matt Holiday’s winning mark for the Rockies.
Jose Reyes, who has been terrific to watch all season is hitting .334, leading the National League, just ahead of Ryan Braun of Milwaukee Brewers at .333. Let's Go Mets!

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?