Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Thursday, December 05, 2013

Growing up, it was called the Old Heidelberg, a big Tudor pile on Sunrise Highway and Howells Road about five blocks from the house I grew up in. I must have passed it twice or more a day just about every day of my life, but it wasn't until I was old enough to go to bars, and a few years after it changed its name, that it became my local. At that point it was the Jon Thomas Inne, a name so vulgar that even then I was surprised that the SLA let them get away with it. It's owners were named Thomas and John, but even so. It's probably one of the few things in Bay Shore that had been there for as long as my family, and now it's burned to the ground. It's funny, I haven't been back in probably at least five years. The last time I was through town what I saw were the things that used to be where new things were, almost like an overlay on top of the things that are there now. The next time I'm through I'll see that pie-shaped wedge of land on Howells Road, and the Jon Thomas won't be there.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?