Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Monday, June 05, 2017

Last October I wrote about an episode of police misconduct and what I regard as the inadequate response my complaints received. Several months ago I wrote to Common Council Member David Rivera, the chair of the Police Oversight Committee about this. Apparently my email fell behind a radiator or something, because I did not receive a reply. I wrote a followup last week, and met with the Councilmember this morning. Mr. Rivera has impressed me in the past as a relatively responsive member of Buffalo's Greatest Deliberative Body, but I am not pleased with his response to my overriding concern. The real issue here is the complete lack of any formal  system for receiving and recording civilian complaints. If complaints about police misconduct can only be made to the police then there really is no police accountability. Apparently the only mechanism in place is the Police Department's Internal Affairs Division, and the Commissioner, who is a mayoral appointment. If complaints about police misconduct can only be made to the police then there really is no police accountability.

I intend to follow up on this.


| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?