Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Monday, December 12, 2022

https://theband.hiof.no/band_pictures/libby_titus_first_one.jpg

 Over the summer, as part of my inquiry into the music of The Band I found a copy of this, Libby Titus' first album. It's an interesting artifact. Released in 1968 on Hot Biscuit Records it is all cover songs- three Lennon-McCartney, a Paul Simon, a couple by John Sebastian and some other familiar material from that period. Ms Titus shows that she is an expressive singer, with a range and timbre that put me in mind of Blossom Dearie, but the material- and the lush orchestration, doesn't do her any favors, and in the final analysis this set puts me in mind of what I might have heard in a coffeehouse. Her big label release, in 1977, had four big name producers- Phil Ramone, Robbie Robertson, Paul Simon, and Carly Simon, is likewise interesting- Columbia Records obviously went all in on it, but although I think I heard some of it here and there back then I can't say I ever saw a copy. The music biz was different back then, I guess.


| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?