Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Monday, November 10, 2003

At the Supersuckers show Saturday KRAC Captain Tom Knab mentioned that his theory is that the twin pillars of rock'n'roll are Chuck Berry and Bob Dylan. When you think about it, it is a difficult proposition to refute: I might suggest that there are additional pillars, but those two are as good a place to start as any others. Of course, as I have said in the past, if you believe in the primacy of Chuck Berry, you are left with the question of what to do about Elvis. I am on board with Greil Marcus much of the way, but for me once the Mystery Train pulls up to Colonel Tom Parker's station, I want off. I suppose it is possible, here in the Twenty-First Century, to underestimate the Black/White synthesis that Elvis represented: if it is not possible, I suppose it is still possible to wish that this were so. At some point, perhaps, we will simply enjoy and respect the music, and leave the hierochies to the obsessive compulsives that inhabit Nick Hornby books. For now, though, as someone who spent a good part of my teens and early twenties haunting the cut-out bins, I can't quite let go. This NYReview of Books essay on Elvis is worthwhile.

And catch the Supersuckers if they come to town. Yeah, definitely do that.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?