Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Sunday, October 31, 2004

With A. away fighting for democracy in Florida I am free to cook some things that she won't eat. Usually this means a lot of eggplant, but I thought it might be fun to try Chuck Taggert's Gumbo z'Herbes. This is a Lenten dish, and so not very seasonal, but I've been wanting to give it a whirl for a while and Cajun cooking is also on A's interdict list. Last night I went to the supermarket and bought pretty much every sort of greens they had: collards, and mustard greens, carrots with tops, beets, spinach and parsley, dandelion greens, boc choy romaine and green onions. My cart looked like it was full of yard clippings. This morning, instead of running, I got up early and cleaned my greens, (CLA and even LCA helped, after they'd had breakfast) and started boiling them. As we carved Jack-O-Lanterns the house was filled with an amazing herbacious, chlorophyll-laden aroma. I left my greens to steep in the pot likker for a bit, while I do some trial prep, and tonight I'll finish it off by making a roux, sauteing the trinity and combining the whole thing with my greens and pot likker. I think I'll add some ham, because we happen to have some ham in the house, but this dish really does seem like something that would be more than satisfying if I went vegan with it, and I probably will do it that way next time.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?