Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Sometimes it is nice to think about dream assignments. My children used to believe that I was counsel for Professor Charles Xavier's School for Gifted Children (or at least I used to tell them that). In today's paper I read that Jay Leno, who is on Michael Jackson's witness list, and therefor subject to the gag order that is in place, brought a motion for permission to make jokes about Jackson. Now that's a dream assignment: the lawyer that goes and gets an injuction on humor lifted. How do you get a gig like that? Do you start small, representing birthday party clowns, working your way up to open mikes, then local radio shock jocks? Why didn't anyone tell me that this was a career option?
Update: Some time ago I was acting as local counsel for a friend on a matter before Judge Elfvin. My friend is a pretty funny guy, but he was notably reserved before the judge, who was his usual wry self. Afterwords I commented on this, and my friend said, "I got the impression pretty quick that in his courtroom he makes the jokes." Very astute. In the instance of the Michael Jackson joke injunction, the judge, The Hon. Rodney Melville, has been quoted as saying, "I'd like to tell [Leno] to tell good jokes, but I guess I can't control that." Count on it-- he killed with that line.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?