Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Thursday, May 12, 2005

I'm not a big fan of Surrogate's Court, an institution that mostly exists to steal the pennies off dead men's eyes, and distribute them as patronage-- even when the Surrogate is honest, the lower levels can be corrupt, and the court itself does nothing that Supreme Court wouldn't be competent to do. I will never forget trying to file a wrongful death compromise petition in mumblemumble county and seeing the clerk shake my papers like a birthday card. "Looking for the Green Affidavit" is the expression for that, and if you don't think it happens, I know a big rabbit who would like to sell you a bridge.

In fact, I seldom have occasion to go to Surrogate's Court, and I suppose I should count my blessings. The race for New York County Surrogate shapes up as an interesting one-- I'm not surprised that it is hotly contested, since the fees that are there to be ladled out must be some of the nicest anywhere. Can't say as I know the other two, but I've appeared before Kristen Booth Glen, and believe her to be the sort of person I'd trust with the job.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?