Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Friday, August 19, 2005

I was looking for an old post on the previous incarnation of this site on The Wayback Machine, and ended up checking out some of the places that I used to carry on my blogroll and dropped. This time of year seems to lend itself to that sort of thing, for whatever reason. I'm not sure why I stopped reading Jeff Cooper's Cooped Up, but it's back now, and just in time to point me to this: "I know I said I wasn't going to blog about work, but here's what I want to say: 'Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it." - Buddha. The costs of the past ten years:
* 4 years of college: tons of money, work and sacrifice;
* 3 years of scrimping to get by on a low-pay full-time job: money, work, sacrifice, sleeplessness;
* 3 years of law school: more money, work, sacrifice, stress and second-guessing;
* Finally realizing that the combination of my efforts, life experience and good luck have brought me to the exact place I was trying to reach all along: priceless."

Because our glamour profession is one that a lot of people find themselves in because they can't think of what else to do, or because they think it will be something other than what it really is, this sort of contentment is rare. Seeing someone who feels that way is a great thing, and is a shared bond. We typically have a clerk either in law school or sometimes just starting-- this year we have both-- and I hope that when they are through it they will be able to say that they are that satisfied with what they have accomplished.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?