Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Friday, November 04, 2005

I was obliged to take LCA to the orthodontist yesterday, and thought I'd just bring her back to the office. "Thursday is the only day I don't have dance," she said. "I want to go home and play "I Capture The Castle." "What's that?" I asked. "I'm going to take a bath, and eat chocolate."

It's hard to argue with someone who has that sort of plan in place, so I acquiesced. She really does take dance seriously, which dismays me. Later that evening I told her, "I liked it better when you were playing an instrument." "Actually," she replied, "I'd like to take voice lessons." "Good grief," I said. "What the hell for?" "People say I have a good voice. I could be a triple threat." We talked some more, and moved on into a discussion of jazz singing, then specifically into vocalese, playing some different stuff. For a twelve year old she has really good taste. "There are words to 'Caravan'?"

None of my daughters are oriented towards particularly practical things, but I find it easier to accept EGA's intellectualism or CLA's athleticism than LCA's desire to be on the stage. I suppose I should be pleased that she applies herself to it with such discipline, but I can't help but wish that she'd found a different outlet. And now Voice. Yikes.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?