Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I'm not sure how I feel about the Special Citation the Pulitzer people have awarded Thelonious Monk. Of course he deserves it-- so did Duke Ellington. It just seems odd that they are just getting around to it now. In a funny way it feels like the Pulitzer Committee is using Monk to legitimize itself. Nice for his family I guess. Poor son of a bitch couldn't get a cabaret card when he needed it, but he's in solid with the Establishment now. If the Pulitzer folks are interested in laying a prize on a cat who is still alive and still important, I can think of several deserving candidates in the jazz realm: Bill Frizell would be a good pick, and so would Dave Brubeck-- but the man I'd nominate would be Randy Weston.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?