Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Friday, March 28, 2008

I put AI on the Netflix queue because LCA and A were going out of town, and I though it would be funny to have a movie about robots arrive so I could listen to them complain. I complain when they get movies that don't have robots, so this would be perfect. As I predicted, when the three disks I'd ordered that week arrived LCA was on the money: "You got something stupid that nobody wants to see; a movie in black and white; and AI!" she declaimed crossly. She stormed out of the room. It was most satisfying. Unfortunately A did not go out of town, and the DVD hung around until we watched it last night. The joke, it seems, was on me.

Although everything except the teddy bear was creepy (here's one-- in two weeks Haley Joel Osment will be 20) it seems to me that a point that was missed in the reviews I read was how the movie is really about the narcissism of being a parent. It is not a theme that really appears in the source story, Super-Toys Last All Summer Long , so I suppose it is something Spielberg added, along with the happy ending. The Kubrick stuff sticks out all over the movie, but it is unmistakably a Spielberg picture.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?