Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Monday, March 30, 2009

To Ted Nash and Odeon at Bruce Eaton's Hunt Real Estate Art of Jazz at the Albright-Knox yesterday, a show I had been looking forward to that still managed to exceed my expectations. Nash plays clarinet, tenor sax and bass clarinet, fronting a band with a violin, accordion, drums and tuba. (The tuba player doubles on slide trombone.) This oddball lineup is so traditional it's avant-garde, you know? There is a lot to hear in this music, which sounded like California noir meets tango, with more than a little Eastern Europe in it, as informed by New Orleans second-line jazz. I think what I liked best was when Nash and violinist Nathalie Bonin traded leads, but the whole thing worked brilliantly. The opening act was a pleasant surprise-- I do not mean to diminish The Other Side-- Kelly Bucheger, saxophone, Trumpeter Tim Clarke, drummer Doug Dreishpoon and bassist John Werick by describing them as local musicians-- really what I mean to say is that this outfit is around and available to be heard here in town. I plan on seeking them out again.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?