Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm extremely pleased to have been invited to participate in the CEPA Gallery's "Visions of Greater Buffalo" event this year. The idea is fun: CEPA invites people from the business, arts, non-profit, educational, political and community service areas to make photographs depicting the region, then mounts a show of the resulting images. My law partner was a board member of CEPA before departing for Scandinavia, and in the past her photographs have won awards; this is a chance for me to see if I learned anything from her.

My sense is that the real trick is to avoid cliche. The other challenge is going to be light and color. I have until the end of February, and although snow capped sculpture is certainly a fair representation of what the coming days will hold that's not what I want to be depicting.

Coincidentally, Slate has a piece today on "slow photography" . My usual approach is to bash out a bunch of shots, then sort out the ones I like later-- the Nick Lowe school. For this event I have been issued a 27 shot disposable camera, so the slow approach makes better sense. Probably also a coincidence: Milton Rogovin died this morning. (UPDATE: Excellent interview with Rogovin from Buffalo Spree by my friend Bob Hirsch here; NYTimes obit here.)

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?