Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Saturday, June 11, 2011

I'm not sure where I am with Bill Simmons' Grantland yet. Hate the name, which sounds like a a farm for graduate students. I wish I could say that I don't like Simmons, but the fact that I pretty much always at least skim his stuff, even when it is about the NBA, pretty much belies that. I'm not sure I know what the mission of the site is supposed to be: is it a more literary ESPN.com?

All that said, the features on The National-- and especially Charley Pierce's article-- make me want to hope for the best. The National was plain old terrific, and really has never been matched. That story about going to a Cubs game with Bill Murray? That's stayed with me to this day. Their Pete Rose gambling coverage was the best anyone could have hoped for-- fair, comprehensive, well-documented and relentless. The PED coverage was likewise better than anyone has managed since.

Charley Pierce has made no secret about his feelings towards Simmons, and Simmons has responded in kind. The fact that Pierce is on board with Grantland strongly suggests that Simmons may be onto something. Wouldn't that be interesting?

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?