Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Via Flutterby, an article about bike sharing programs and helmet laws. When we were in Boston a couple of weeks ago we noticed the bike sharing racks-- apparently it is a fairly new program there. I didn't think about the fact that naturally one would be riding without a helmet, even when we saw people riding the share-bikes, but I would have, I think, as soon as I got on one. Wearing a helmet has become as second nature to me as buckling my seatbelt when I get in a car. I'm a bit of a nut on the subject, and have harangued more than one friend into wearing a helmet. Head injuries are not a matter to be taken lightly, and even in the absence of helmet laws there are, I think, liability issues presented for the promoters of bike sharing programs that ought to compel them to find a way to make helmets available to users. I don't think the technical problems are so difficult, and I think that turning this into some sort of libertarian issue is messed up.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?