Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Excellent piece about sexism in our glamor profession.
In one of my cases, when my male adversary interrupted the judge to make a point, the judge would say, “You’re right.” I was never invited to counter his arguments, and had to resort to interrupting. When I interrupted the other lawyer, I was told to “LET HIM SPEAK!” When I interrupted the judge, I got “I AM SPEAKING, MS. MACFARLANE, AND I AM NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING FROM YOU.”
Judges in general, and federal district court judges especially, resemble absolute monarchs in a lot of ways, and one of the ways is this: who you gonna complain to? Sure, there are supervising judges who might lend a sympathetic ear, but let's be realistic: the behavior described above isn't getting anybody impeached. The best thing to hope for would be, I suppose, an automatic recusal, and that's not necessarily the best thing for one's client.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?