Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Thursday, November 05, 2015

Speaking of Championship Vinyl, one of the scenes I love in High Fidelity is when Rob reviews his list of dream jobs: "Journalist for Rolling Stone magazine, 1976–1979; producer for Atlantic Records, 1964–1971; any kind of musician ('besides classical or rap'); film director ('any kind except German or silent'); architect." I'd have to say that rock critic would be on my list. I have a lot of rock critic heros, and Jon Landau would have to be on my top five list, but until yesterday I'd never read the piece that was the source of his most famous remark: " I saw rock and roll future and its name is Bruce Springsteen.". Actually, I assumed it was just a quip, but no, here it is, in the original context. Of course, Landau subsequently moved on from rock crit and became Springsteen's manager, but in a meaningful way the linked to essay beautifully captures the odd nostalgia for one's own recent past that characterized Springsteen's work up to that point. That's pretty powerful music criticism.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?