Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Thursday, December 03, 2015

When A is out of town I look for things that we can binge-watch. Someone suggested Narcos, so I gave it a whirl last night. Here's the thing: the War on Drugs could be a great subject for a movie, or especially a series, but Narcos is a far cry from how a great movie or series would be told. I was optimistic when the opening text crawl referenced magical realism-- but I quickly lost hope when I realized that the voice-over narration was never going to stop. For me voice-over is lousy filmmaking. There are exceptions, of course. William Holden's opening in Sunset Boulevard comes to mind, but only a genius like Billy Wilder could have pulled that off. Someone like David Lynch could make a magical realism series about the drug wars that would show that they came about as a result of a combination failed American foreign policy in Latin America and the criminalization of  domestic urban poverty, but Narcos is just the same old Miami Vice jive.                    

| Comments:
There's a Netflix original series called Bloodline that should be getting more buzz than it has. It's only one season so far but the writing and acting are better than OITNB, IMO. Features Sissy Spacek, Sam Shephard and an Australian actor whose name I've forgotten as the protagonist. Great family drama and Florida locations that feel like the Florida I remember from when I was little kid - a bit run down and sweaty. If you've seen John Sayles' Sunshine State it has that feel, although the story is very different.
 
I'll give it a look. Thanks for the tip!
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?