Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

I have resisted writing about the Orlando horror because I couldn't think of a way to really get a hold on it. It is such a perfect confluence of awful: two kinds of bigotry, access to automatic weapons, all of it. I think about the people who were vacationing with their families in Orlando, and what it must have been like for them-- and of course I think about the families of the victims, who will live with this for the rest of their lives. I tried to go to the vigil held here in Buffalo, in Niagara Square, but I couldn't stay; there was praying, and frankly praying is just about the last response that seems right to me. I am angry and sick, and I feel even worse knowing that this thing is being exploited politically by the sort of people that embody the worst of America, or, I suppose, of humanity. Even worse than that is the awareness that this changes nothing. In a week or two people will have moved on, because, I guess, that is a survival tactic we have evolved. If we remembered with vivid clarity every painful episode like this we might become like characters in a Beckett novel, unable to react to anything. So tortured, self-loathing people like this guy will still be able to get automatic weapons, and horrible United States Senators will express their hollow pieties, and loathsome human beings will say loathsome things about all of it, up to and including the character or nature of the victims.

So now I've said something, because that is a thing that I do.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?