Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Friday, July 22, 2016

A long, civil FB exchange with a mild-mannered HS acquaintance who I haven't spoken with since HS has me reflecting once again over the reality of persuasive discourse. Simply put, there really isn't such a thing: people will believe what they want to believe, and actual facts will not dissuade them.

FB is a funny place for pretty much that reason. It is amazing to me how many people I once knew seem to have ended up in a place that's so different from where I am. I suppose I might flatter myself and think that this might be because where I am is part of an ongoing process of critical evaluation, but I suppose it is equally likely that I have always been contrarian by nature. "If you would learn to praise the king, you wouldn't have to eat lentils."  "If you would learn to eat lentils," Diogenes replied, "You wouldn't have to praise the king".

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?