Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

My understanding of British Constitutional Law isn't all that it maybe should be. I get that it is based on an "unwritten" constitution, and I understand that this means that it is basically a common law tradition, but it is still difficult for me to get my head around. Even so, it seemed odd that the Brits thought they could abrogate a treaty by referendum. The US Constitutional principle is that treaties are the highest law of the land, and we had to have gotten that idea from somewhere. Now it turns out that the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom sees it that way too, and Parliament has to sign off on Brexit. Because we live in stupid times Parliament is going to do it. That's disappointing,  but at least it shows I have sort of a grasp on British Constitutional Law. La la la, the center cannot hold

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?