Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Wednesday, February 03, 2021

 I frequently find that there is a strong anti-intellectual streak in our glamor profession, and it irritates the hell out of me. 

At the moment I am litigating a matter with a younger attorney adverse to me. He seems like a bright guy, and I suspect that he comes from a politically connected background. We get along well enough. The other day we were having the sort of phone conversation that nibbles around the notion of getting to settlement discussions, and I said that we are probably at a place where we both want to avoid the sunk cost fallacy. "You're a professor, aren't you?" he said. "That's why I don't always understand what you're saying." 

Now, first of all, I am not a professor, which is a specific academic title. Yes, I teach, but calling me a professor is a stretch. More importantly, there was nothing esoteric or, you should forgive the expression, professorial about my remark. Every capable lawyer I know got good grades as an undergraduate. Law is supposed to be a learned profession, and yet I frequently encounter lawyers who pretend that they are jus' simple folk.


| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?